What Does Gender Dysphoria Feel Like?
Symptoms of gender dysphoria may manifest in adolescents and adults as a significant disconnect between their inner gender identity and the sex they were assigned at birth. This disconnect should persist for at least six months and be characterized by at least two of the following:
- A discrepancy between one's gender identity and their primary or secondary sexual characteristics, such as genitalia, breast size, facial hair, or voice. In young adolescents, this disconnect might involve their anticipated secondary sex characteristics.
- A strong desire to remove or avoid developing these primary or secondary sexual characteristics.
- A strong yearning to possess the primary or secondary sexual characteristics of another gender.
- A strong desire to be treated as or seen as a member of another gender.
- A strong conviction of having the typical thoughts, feelings, and responses associated with another gender.
Free Mental Health Assessment
Mental Health America recognizes the significance of accessible and prompt mental health support for individuals experiencing potential symptoms of mental health conditions. To aid in this effort, MHA offers free mental health screenings. Through awareness, support, and appropriate interventions, we can work together to build a more compassionate and mentally healthy world for everyone.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline988lifeline.org
The 988 Lifeline is a national network of local crisis centers that provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in the United States.
Crisis Text Linecrisistextline.org
Text HOME to 741741 from anywhere in the United States, anytime. Crisis Text Line is here for any crisis. A live, trained Crisis Counselor receives the text and responds, all from our secure online platform. The volunteer Crisis Counselor will help you move from a hot moment to a cool moment.
Trevor Project Lifelinethetrevorproject.org
Text ‘START’ to 678-678
Or chat online
Trained counselors that understand the challenges LGBTQ people face.